Swimming advice for family getaways
Photos from source linked below.
Are you going away this summer? If you're looking forward to a holiday on the beach, this week's blog post is for you. We've put together a list of top tips for beach safety, a very important topic that is not discussed enough and yet is so easy to implement.
1. One of the most important tips that many people might not think of is to have a word with the lifeguard before venturing out into the water. They can tell you where is safe to swim, the safety guidelines specific to the beach you're on, and anything that an internet article might miss.
2. Do not swim alone. Even the most seasoned swimmer can get into trouble, such as if they get cramp, so safety in numbers can make all the difference.
3. Don't swim in twilight or the dark. Without proper light to see, people won't know if you need help or not.
4. Swim along the shoreline. If you'd like a long swim, there's no need to go out of view of family, friends, and lifeguards. Swim along the shoreline and then, if needed, you can call for assistance or in the shallower areas, walk back to shore.
5. Know what to do with riptides. They are sometimes called "undertows". There are plenty of online guides on how to spot and deal with a riptide, we recommend searching for one and also asking the lifeguard so you can be sure you know what to do.
6. Never let the children go to swim without a supervising adult (don't rely on the lifeguard).
7. Speak to your children about safety. Make sure they know about the advice detailed in this article and others, and that they've understood what the lifeguard has to say.
8. Some beaches have siren systems. This is especially likely if you're on a beach where shark attacks are a possibility. If you ever hear a siren, get out of the water as soon as possible - don't wait for clarification and never ignore the alarm!
Note: This article is a good starter, but is by no means exhaustive. Readers are advised to do further research before swimming at the beach. There are also other safety factors to consider when spending a day on the beach, such as using sun cream and drinking lots of water! Be safe and do your research.
JoJoFun is not responsible for the content of external websites.
7 Ways to Keep Your Kids Safe on the Beach This Summer
Keeping safe at the beach
7 Safety Tips For Children at the Beach
High Quality Free Images