Learn all about the international sport
Photos from sources linked below.
It's time to start picking strawberries - the Wimbledon Championships are nearly here! But where did it all begin? What are tennis balls made of? How high is a tennis net? These questions and more are answered in this week's blog post as we present 10 Tennis Facts for Kids.
1. Recent figures say that an incredible 54,250 tennis balls are supplied to Wimbledon, each one hand tested by the manufacturer.
2. There are many different ways to hit the ball in tennis, such as: forehand, backhand, volley, serve, lob shot, and drop shot.
3. The rectangular shape of the tennis court was agreed upon in 1875. Before this, tennis courts were hourglass shaped.
4. Most historians agree that tennis as we know it today was invented sometime between the 11th and 12th century by French monks.
5. Tennis balls are covered in a wool or nylon shell. The core is hollow rubber.
6. The tennis net is 3 feet high in the middle of the court.
7. Tennis was first played by the players hitting the ball with their hands. Later a glove with webbing between each finger was used.
8. The 1877 Wimbledon Championship was the world's first official lawn tennis tournament.
9. The width of a singles tennis court is 27 feet. The length is 78 feet.
10. The name tennis is said to have come from the monks who invented the game. They would shout, "tenez" when hitting the ball, which is French for "take this".
JoJoFun is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Fun Tennis Facts For kids
Having a ball at Wimbledon!
Was This How Tennis was Introduced? Free High Quality Images