Make Your Own Kids Telescope
Photos from sources linked below.
After the sensational Supermoon earlier this week, we're continuing our space theme here at JoJoFun with a salute to the Hubble Space Telescope, which is being retired in 2018. This week, we show you how to make your very own telescope with a few simple steps! Read on, fellow space explorers!
What You Need
- Two cardboard tubes
- Sticky tape
- Paints (kids can choose their favourite colours)
- 2 convex lenses - these are perhaps the trickiest material to find, you can use a pair from magnifying glasses or order them online.
1. Paint the cardboard tubes. Get creative here! Pick any combination of colours you like. You can even apply stickers or patterns (better to do this on one tube only - the one that will be the outer tube).
2. After the paint has dried, it's time to create the inner tube for the telescope. This tube needs to be a bit smaller than the outer tube, so take one of the cardboard tubes and cut it lengthwise, curl one edge slightly over the other, then use the sticky tape to reattach them. You will now have a slightly smaller tube.
3. Put the inner tube inside the other cardboard tube, which is the outer tube. It should fit snugly inside and not fall out by itself. If necessary, you can always readjust the inner tube by removing the sticky tape and then taping it again a little larger than before.
4. Tape one convex lense to the end of each tube, so the end of the outer tube is covered by one lens, and the end of the inner tube (where you will look through) is covered by the other lens. Be sure not to cover the lenses with tape or you won't see anything!
Now is the moment of truth! Take your telescope out on a clear night and enjoy the night sky.
Important Note: Never look at bright objects with the telescope, such as lights, flames, or the sun.
Tips: You might need to play with different tube lengths to get the right focus through the lens. Also, if you end up with an upside-down image, try using a concave lens at one end of the telescope.
Note: Crafts often involve using scissors, craft knives and glue. A responsible adult must supervise crafts at all times and undertake the dangerous and difficult parts themselves. JoJoFun is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Make a Telescope
Building a Homemade Telescope
How to Make a Kid's Telescope