Delicious Ice Cream You Can Make Yourself
In this week's blog post, we've put together a simple, easy-to-follow method for making your very own ice cream using just a few ingredients. It's so simple, even the kids can help make it!
1 cup of whole milk (half a cup) and heavy cream (half a cup) mixed together. If you have light cream, you can use two thirds of a cup of that with one third of whole milk.
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 cup of sea salt flakes
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 pint-size zip-lock freezer bag
1 gallon-size zip-lock freezer bag
Your favorite ice cream add-ons (berries, hundreds and thousands...)
These amounts serve 1. Multiply as necessary!
1. Mix together the cup of whole milk/cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in a container (such as a jug or bowl) and then pour it into the pint-size freezer bag. Seal the bag. Make sure the bag is fully sealed, so that nothing leaks out. Be sure also that no air, or as little as possible is in the bag.
2. Place the ice cubes in the gallon-size freezer bag, filling it. Sprinkle the sea salt flakes over the ice cubes. Again, make sure as little air as possible is in the bag.
3. Put the sealed pint-size bag into the bigger bag that has the ice and salt in and seal the bigger bag. Again, make sure it's fully sealed and if there are any leaks, go ahead and double bag the galloon-size bag.
4. Shake the bag for 5-10 minutes, or until the ice cream mixture feels like its hardening. You can feel the small bag with the ice cream in for consistency, and keep shaking with the ice cubes until you're happy with it. You might want to use a tea towel or gloves for this part as the bag is cold!
5. Remove the small bag from the bigger one and remove any salt from the outside of the smaller bag. Open the smaller bag and remove the ice cream, placing it in a bowl. Add your extras of choice (berries, banana slices, etc.) and enjoy!
Experiment with the mixture until you get just the right taste for you. Some people prefer it a little less sweet, in which case less sugar is required.
How to Make Homemade Ice Cream in a Bag
How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
How Ice Cream Works