History Resources for Kids
Images from sources linked below
Today is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. To mark this important event, we've found five articles and resources so grownups can assist kids in learning all about why the 141-day battle is still remembered, 100 years later.
1. What was the Battle of the Somme? This point-by-point account of the battle provides a good overview.
2. What did WW1 British Army soldiers carry in their kitbags? Find out what the soldiers carried with them.
3. World War I - Battle of the Somme. This history article includes a map of the battle.
4. Soldiers food in the trenches. What did soldiers eat in the trenches?
5. Jimmy the Donkey. Learn about Peterborough's mascot donkey - born at the Battle of the Somme.
Extra: The youngest person to fight was Sidney Lewis, who was 12 years old. Sidney told the army he was 18 so he could join to fight at Somme. Learn about his amazing story here.
Note: JoJoFun is not responsible for the content of external websites.